Shiseido's brand “SHISEIDO,” which is available in 88 countries and regions of the world, will promote brand innovation starting in January 2016. Adding “GINZA TOKYO,” namely, the heart of the brand, to the logo as part of an initiative to create a new brand story and future, it will transform itself into a brand originated in Ginza, Tokyo and a brand that takes over Shiseido's identity most vigorously.
With this as a start, at four bases that communicate culture, namely, the Shiseido Gallery, the Shiseido Parlour, SHISEIDO THE GINZA and the Shiseido Ginza Building, we will concurrently organize the event titled “BEAUTY CROSSING GINZA ~ Ginza + La Mode + Shiseido ~,” with the Hanatsubaki (Camellia) logo, which is the symbol of Shiseido and its brand “SHISEIDO,” and “GINZA” as the themes, from Friday, January 8, 2016 through Tuesday, March 15, 2016.
In this project, we will express the view of the world of SHISEIDO, which transforms itself into new one, while displaying pieces of art produced, inspired by the brand's message, and our products, advertisements and the camellia logo, which are the proof that Ginza and Shiseido have created culture of makeup and fashion over the years as well.
Overview of the Project and Time Schedule
Duration: Friday, January 8 - Thursday, January 28, 2016 Admission Free
We will exhibit fine arts inspired by the view of the world of SHISEIDO, which transforms itself into new one, and “sympathy,” Shiseido's products, advertisements and the town of Ginza by employing a three-dimensional collage technique.
The Highlights of the Themes
- (1) Japan's Westernization Movement and the Rokumeikan Style
- - Fashion illustrations drawn for the project by Ms. Yukako Izawa*1 are projected on the staircase landings and walls.
- - Colored woodblock prints of the Ginza Renga Gai (brick town)
- (2) Ginbura (a stroll in Ginza) and Modern Boys and Girls
- - Valuable materials that show the mode of life in those days, such as “Modernologio” (by Mr. Wajiro Kon/ Mr. Kenkichi Yoshida) (Can be viewed on an iPad)
- - “Shiseido Graph,” ‘window back posters,' etc.
- (3) The Tokyo Olympic Games and Miyuki-zoku (Miyuki tribe)
- - Panoramic photos of Ginza in the 1950s from “Ginza Kaiwai Album Ginza Haccho” (by Mr. Shohachi Kimura)
- - Window display models of lip art
- - Triptych photographs of Ginza taken for the project by Mr. Kunihiko Katsumata*2
- (4) SHISEIDO GINZA TOKYO
- - “BEAUTY IS EMPATHY” fine arts inspired by the SHISEIDO brand's message and produced by Mr. Robert Montgomery*3 and advertisement visuals for the new SHISEIDO Ultimune
Tableware with the camellia logo engraved in the early Showa period will be displayed on the 1st floor.
|Duration:||Friday, January 8 – Tuesday, March 15, 2016|
|Opening Hours:||11:00 – 21:00|
|Open Seven Days a Week
*Closed on Monday, February 15, 2016 due to the maintenance of the building.
|Address:||1F, Tokyo Ginza Shiseido Bld., 8-8-3, Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo|
|TEL:||03-3289-2099 (Shiseido Parlour Co., Ltd. Public Relations Group)|
SHISEIDO THE GINZA
POS display with the camellia logo as a motif will be displayed.
|Duration:||Friday, January 8 – Tuesday, March 15, 2016|
|Opening Hours:||11:00 – 20:00|
|No scheduled holidays|
|Address:||7-8-10, Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo|
Shiseido Ginza Building
“A contemporary scroll painting of 100 camellia figures” that speaks of the logo's 100-year history will be exhibited.
|Duration:||Friday, January 8 – Tuesday, March 15, 2016; Admission Free|
|Opening Hours:||9:00 - 19:00|
|Closed on Saturdays, Sundays, and national holidays|
|Address:||1F-3F, Shiseido Ginza Bld., 7-5-5, Ginza, Chuo-ku, Tokyo|
|TEL:||03-3575-5431 (Shiseido Co., Ltd. Corporate Culture Department)|
*1 Ms. Yukako Izawa
Ms. Yukako Izawa was born in Tokyo in 1982. She graduated from the Department of Painting (Oil Painting Course), Faculty of Art and Design at Tama Art University in 2005 and works as a watercolor painter, illustrator and designer. She is deeply interested in relation between water and people, expressing a swinging world between fantasy and daily life in her works. She has held many exhibitions, including “Mizuoto” (water sound; Galleria AONEKO, 2015). She received the July's Special Prize of Sompo Japan Art Award in 2015.
*2 Mr. Kunihiko Katsumata
Mr. Kunihiko Katsumata was born in Shizuoka Prefecture. After graduating from the Faculty of Law at Waseda University and then Inter Medium Institute, he became a photographer. He has held many exhibitions, including “Unconsciousness of the City” (the National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo, 2013). With “Time,” “Light,” and “Place” as the themes, he has created arts aware of the structure of photographs. He received the Newcomer's Award by the Photographic Society of Japan in 2005.
*3 Mr. Robert Montgomery
Based in London, Mr. Robert Montgomery creates arts and exhibits them at art facilities mainly in Europe. In order to deliver his message to the general public, he likes to exhibit and present his poems at a square and other public spaces. His simple works consisting of white letters on the black background include words that work on the people's subconscious, his own questions, and sentences with sympathy as a theme.
- ● The visitors to the Shiseido Gallery or the Shiseido Ginza Building will be given a sample ticket to be used at the SHISEIDO counter in the Ginza Mitsukoshi or Matsuya Ginza department store.*4
*4 The SHISEIDO Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate 5 mL sample will be given following counseling. This will end as soon as samples have run out.
- ● The customers who had counseling at the SHISEIDO counter in the Ginza Mitsukoshi or Matsuya Ginza department store will be given our original magnet commemorating this project at the Shiseido Gallery or the Shiseido Ginza Building.
- ● Starting on January 1, 2016, the SHISEIDO Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate Kit (suggested retail price: 7,000 ~ 12,000 yen, excluding taxes)*5 will be available in a limited quantity at the SHISEIDO counter across the nation and SHISEIDO THE GINZA.
*5 A limited set of an original red mirror sporting the brand color with the camellia logo and either one of the SHISEIDO Ultimune Power Infusing Concentrate 30 mL, 50 mL, 50 ml refill and the SHISEIDO Ultimune Power Infusing Eye Concentrate.