Social Contribution Activities
The Shiseido Group established Protect Beauty, Empower Beauty, and Inspire Beauty as the core areas of its corporate sustainability initiatives in 2019. We aim to achieve sustainable development together with society and the earth, and we will contribute to society through activities related to our core areas of sustainability and solutions that address local issues through our corporate strengths.
Guidelines for Social Contribution Activities
The Shiseido Group aims to achieve sustainable development together with society and the earth. In accordance with the Shiseido Group Standards of Business Conduct and Ethics, we will contribute to the realization of a sustainable society through our efforts to resolve social issues and leveraging our business practices, as well as through activities that address issues of each local community, to gain support from various stakeholders across the world for years to come.
Shiseido Group Standards of Business Conduct and Ethics ”With Society and the Earth”
We engage in a broad dialogue with society and strive to cooperate in solving social challenges.
- (1)We strive to meet the expectations of global society through various activities, such as using the power of cosmetics to lift people’s spirits and improve their quality of life, furthering the advancement of women, promoting the arts and culture, and conducting environmental activities.
- (2)We work to deepen our interaction with communities where our affiliates are located and contribute to their development, thereby fulfilling our responsibility as a good corporate citizen.
For details, please refer to “Shiseido Group Standards of Business Conduct and Ethics”
Core Areas of Social Contribution Activities
We established six core areas in accordance with the Shiseido Group Standards of Business Conduct and Ethics and our corporate materiality issues. In addition to three areas (key issues) of Protect Beauty (environment), Empower Beauty (cosmetics, beauty, and support for women), and Inspire Beauty (art and culture), we are also engaged in Community and Disaster Support, Academic Support, and Activities for Children, in response to the needs of the local community.
Highlights of our Social Contribution Activities Results
Number of social contribution activities (Number of activities)
|All Shiseido Group||408|
Number of participating employees (Cumulative number)
|All Shiseido Group||10,040|
Spending on social contribution activities (Unit: 1 million yen)
|Shiseido Company, Limited||Spending on donations||*203|
|Breakdown||Donations made in cash||*203|
|Donations made by product offerings||*0|
|Shiseido Group in Japan a)||Spending on donations||*210|
|Breakdown||Donations made in cash||*210|
|Donations made by product offerings||*1|
|Shiseido Group outside Japan b)||Spending on donations||114|
|Breakdown||Donations made in cash||101|
|Donations made by product offerings||12|
For details, please refer to Social Data.
Here is an outline of the six core areas of our social contribution activities. Please follow the link below for details.
1.Protect Beauty (Environment)
We manufacture our products from many plant-derived raw materials by making use of the bounty of the Earth, and we strive to raise employee awareness through environmental greening and environmental education.
- Camellia Planting and Conservation Volunteer Activities in the Goto Islands, Nagasaki Prefecture
- Shiseido Thailand Co., Ltd. Volunteers Plant Mangrove Trees in Thailand
- Cleaning Activities at the Shiseido Osaka FactoryThe Shiseido Osaka Factory continues its monthly activity of cleaning the riverbed of the Kanzaki River, which flows next to the factory. 2018 resultsTotal number of activities: 8Total number of participating employees: 232Amount of waste collected: 49 kg
2.Empower Beauty (Cosmetics, beauty, and support for women)
Making the most of our beauty technology and know-how to support job opportunities for women, we aim to raise awareness of the cosmetics business and realize a better society for everyone.
3.Inspire Beauty (Art and culture)
Making the most of our high-quality artisanship skills and know-how accumulated over more than 100 years, we support contemporary art and experimental expression activities.
- “art egg” artist support
- Art and culture (co-sponsorship) activities
We have co-sponsored various art exhibitions including “Foujita in the 1940s: Tributes” at the University Art Museum, Tokyo University of the Arts, and “YASUMASA MORIMURA: EGO OBSCURA,” a private exhibition of Yasumasa Morimura works at the Japan Society Gallery in New York.
4.Community and Disaster Support
Insight into society and self-growth through relationships with society will lead to the growth of our employees and eventually, the growth of our company.
We actively provide support (research support) for cutting-edge studies which will lead to the development of next-generation science engineers and improvement of our corporate research competency.
- Shiseido Female Researcher Science Grant to support leading female scientists
- JSID's Fellowship Shiseido Research Grant to support advanced dermatological research and development initiatives
- Japanese Dermatological Association Basic Medical Science Research Fund (Donation by Shiseido) supporting basic medical research in dermatology
6.Activities for Children
We carry out activities to give opportunities to children so that they can gain the right knowledge through various experiences.
- Initiatives for children including enlightenment activities to raise awareness of sunscreen care
- Participation of 3 Shiseido factories in Japan in the Youngsters' Science Festival National Convention.
On July 28 and 29, 2018, our three domestic factories (Kuki Factory, Kakegawa Factory, and Osaka Factory) jointly exhibited the “Create Your Own Lip Color” experience booth at the Youngsters' Science Festival National Convention held at the Science Museum. The purpose of the exhibition is to give children an opportunity to experience the fun of science and technology through hands-on experiments and crafting.
Number of participating employees: 13
Number of booth visitors: Approx. 200